The Rohming Robots is a FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) team based in the Charleston, SC area.
One of the many ways our team is unique is that our team is made up entirely of homeschooled students. We love learning about science and math, and FIRST robotics gives us an amazing opportunity to learn more and demonstrate our knowledge. FTC teams build robots with pieces made of various materials, mainly metal, and use sensors and programs to compete with other students at state and world competitions. We are required to keep an engineering notebook which tracks our project from the first step to the the last as well as documents our discoveries.
Team Fun Facts
- One of our main goals is to distribute team responsibilities according to skills and interest, which keeps the building and programming process fun for all.
- Our team has members from many different grades from 8th grade up to 12th.
- The members of our team come from many different parts of the Tri-County area in South Carolina.
- Our team has twelve team members and two main mentors.
- Five members of our team have participated as part of an FLL team, and half of our team members are rookies.
- In our free time, many of our team members enjoy playing video games.
What is FIRST Tech Challenge?
FIRST Tech Challenge is designed for students in grades 7-12 to compete head to head, using a sports model. Teams are responsible for designing, building, and programming their robots to compete in an alliance format against other teams.... Teams, including coaches, mentors and volunteers, are required to develop strategy and build robots based on sound engineering principles. Awards are given for the competition as well as for community outreach, design, and other real-world accomplishments.